Tuesday 26 July 2011

The Marmalade Cocktail

I was recently lucky enough to pick up a battered first edition of The Savoy Cocktail Book for £10. Included is a recipe for the Marmalade Cocktail. Being rather a fan of this preserve and having been impressed with Chase Marmalade Vodka I thought I'd give this cocktail from the 1930 book a try.



Heaped Teaspoon Marmalade
35ml Dry Gin
Juice of half a lemon
Shake Vigorously with Ice

Strain and serve with a squeeze of orange rind (twist of orange)



For Gin I used Tanner's Hereford Gin and my Marmalade of choice was Shazzam's Gin & Tonic Marmalade.

It reminds me a little of a white lady but with a sweet orange tang, very crisp and perfect as pre-lunch cocktail. I particularly like the cleansing tartness of the citrus and the fact it is not too sweet.

4 comments:

  1. Well done with the recipe. I tried it with Gordons Gin (40% strength), and Wilkin & Sons Ltd., "Old Times' Orange Fine Cut Marmalade". Very tasty, but I think that I would use less lemon juice next time, as I believe lemons now are huge in size compared to the ones I recall of old. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Maximillion, glad you enjoyed it. A green grocer friend once told me that the best lemons and limes were the ones that seemed heavy for their size.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a recent convert to the marmalade cocktail, was pleased to see a scientific approach to this serious matter. Delighted to see Antarctic hero pictured on your banner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful drink, thanks for share, I'm certainly can't get a bottle of that old, but i will try to get the oldest one i can find.

    ReplyDelete